What is Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate (SSL)?
Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate (SSL) is Ivory powder or flake-shaped solid. It can be dispersed well in hot water and soluble in ethanol and hot oils and fats with pleasant caramel-like odor. It is an anionic emulsifier with HLB value of 8.3.
SSL is an emulsifier used in bread making to strengthen the dough during processing and to keep the crumb soft during storage. Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate is chemically synthesized from lactic acid, stearic acid and sodium hydroxide. Lactic acid is mostly derived from bacterial fermentation. Stearic acid may be derived from animal fat or the hydrogenation of unsaturated vegetable oils.
Chemical structure of SSL
Sodium stearoyl lactylate (SSL) forms strong bonds with the flour proteins during gluten development, improving dough strength. During protein denaturation at baking temperatures, these bonds weaken and SSL is able to translocate to the starch molecules, reducing their staling rates during storage.
(1) It can be directly mixed well with flour for use.
(2) Put this product into warm water at about 60℃ with proportion of 1:6 to get paste shaped substance, ten add it into flour in proportion to obtain better effect.
(3) When used in non-dairy creamer or this kind of substance, it should be heated well with emulsified substance to get homogeneous emulsion before further processing.
Use at 0.25 to 0.5% (flour weight) at the mixer.
Related Industry Knowledge
- The action of accelerators
- Experience of OP-10 emulsifier
- What do you know about osmotic JFC
- Infiltration of JFC
- Properties and applications of osmotic agents
- Application and characteristics of modern emuls...
- Emulsifier alkyl phenol polyoxyethylene ether N...
- Application of emulsified wax in fiber board in...
- High efficiency special green has become a new ...
- How to choose emulsifier
- food emulsifiers category
- Food emulsifiers producer teach you how to choo...
- Introduction distilled monoglycerides(DMG)
- Topic of Citrem food emulsifier
- You have to know Propylene Glycol Esters of Fat...
- How to attract buyers of food emulsifiers
- food emulsifiers in bakery products(one)
- food emulsifiers in bakery food(II)
- Eid al-Adha festival
- food additive categories in China